Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Perfect Temperature

Every summer my local library is packed. Now I believe a lot of that is because of the excellent programs and the draw of summertime reading, but to tell you the truth I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the library is air conditioned. I always tend to feel cold, even in the summer, so I loathed the air condition. I always wondered why they put the AC on so high, why not let it get a little humid and warm? I used to think it was because the people in charge of the AC were always really warm. Funny thing is, the AC levels had nothing to do with people and everything to do with the books.

You don't really think about it, but books are delicate creatures. In too warm climates, too damp climates they attract mold, bugs, and all sorts of organisms that will eat away at their pages. And of course books aren't the only objects in the library temperamental about their temperature. You have technology like computers that should not be left so hot they boil, nor should be they be in a place that is damp. Libraries who want to ensure a long lifetime for their materials can't afford to just let their library be any old temperature. They need to create the perfect environment that has the perfect humidity and temperature that will allow books and other items to maintain in the best condition for the longest time.

Why am I ranting about this? Yesterday IST 511 took a tour of Bird Library's special collections section, which was literally one of the coolest things I have ever done. Part of the reason I was so fascinated is I love books. I have spent years reading books, buying books and owning books and yet I had never thought about preservation. After years of being in and out of libraries, I never once considered how they keep their collection mended and usable by the public. Taking the tour of the special collections, preservation and conservation departments opened my eyes to the fascinating things people have to do to keep books mended, in shape with usability. We learned about ways in which one can help preserve a book and ways in which one should not preserve a book. We were told the horrors of scotch tape and Elmer's glue and all I could think of is all the library books I have seen that people have tried to mend with scotch tape. Granted, when you are talking about book preservation your typically not talking about a child's Dora The Explorer  book, but still, these people and their efforts throughout the years is the reason I was able to see, touch and hold a book that was written in 1582. 1582! That has to have been one of the most awe inspiring experiences I ever had!

 Long story short, next summer when I enter my local library with a huge sweater, I will not complain about the AC. I like to think I can manage a little cold, especially if it goes to helping books.

No comments:

Post a Comment